How to Transfer Vehicle Registration from One State to Another

Are you relocating for your dream job? Does it need a permanent transfer to some other state? If yes, then do not forget to transfer the registration of your car! Before you think of shifting your car along with you, make sure to re-register it in the new state. The process is mandatory as per the rules and regulations set up by the Government of India. Once a person has transferred vehicle registration from one state to another, then only he/she has the authority to drive his vehicle in the new state. For this, certain steps are to be followed at the RTOs including the documentation process.

The first step is to get a NOC (No-Objection Certificate) from the RTO where the vehicle is formerly registered. The chassis number on the certificate should be prominently visible. Once the NOC is received from the former Regional Transport Office, the vehicle can be taken to the new state. However, before going out for a ride, a person needs to visit the local RTO of the new state with all the required documents. So, for instance, a person moving from Delhi to Maharashtra will get a NOC from the RTO of Delhi and then RTO Offices in Maharashtra have to be visited with all the documents.

The documents submitted by the applicant get checked and verified after which the RTO issues a new challan. The road tax has to be paid after which the vehicle inspection takes place. Once all the formalities are done, the new RC is issued to the vehicle owner for the new state. However, it should be kept in mind that the NOC obtained from the previous RTO is valid only for a certain period of time, hence all the formalities at the new RTO must be completed within that time period. A NOC from the bank has to be submitted if you have had any loan on your vehicle. Here’s the list of documents required if you want to apply for vehicle re-registration:

  • Original copy of the previous RC
  • NOC issued by the previous state’s RTO
  • NOC issued by the bank, if applicable
  • Form 20 or application form for the registration of vehicles
  • Form 27 or application form for re-registration of vehicles
  • Identity proof
  • Address proof
  • A copy of valid insurance
  • A copy of PUC certificate i.e. Pollution Under Control Certificate.
  • Copy of PAN Card

Re-registration of a vehicle is mandatory if you are permanently moving to some other state. You have the right to drive in the new state only after successfully obtaining the new RC of the vehicle. Hence, the process to transfer vehicle registration cannot be skipped and if a person drives a vehicle without RC getting transferred, then he/she can be penalized for breaking the rule. The vehicle can also be detained by the traffic police in some cases, thus getting the RC transfer makes a lot of sense. The comprehensive RTO vehicle registration information is available online to help the applicant to go through every detail about the procedure before applying for re-registration.

Related posts