Are you travelling to London for the first time? Or are you looking for tips to get the best out of your trip? London is one of the best tourist destinations in the world and the most famous city in the UK. It has endless attractions, pubs, shopping opportunities and restaurants. When visiting London for the first time, people are often enamoured with the hustle bustle of the city. But, there are some important considerations you must keep in mind when you are visiting and we outline them below:
- The main currency of British is British Pound (£) which has recently fallen in value when compared to the US Dollar, which is why it’s now one of the best times for the Americans to visit London. Though the value fluctuates, London can be one of the best places to travel while saving money if you are savvy and look out for the many great deals.
- When travelling somewhere new it is important to understand the tipping customs. In London restaurants, the average tip given is about 15%. In some of the cases, the tips get added to the bill or at times; you have to pay the tip separately to the server. Even when you are booking the taxis, you will have to tip 10-15%. But, you are not required to tip when you ask for drinks at the bars.
- Kids under the age of 11 do not require an Oyster photocard if they are travelling with an adult. Kids between 11-15 years of age are required to pay less.
- While you are renting a car, you must always drive on the left side of the road. Driving in crowded streets should be avoided. If you want to go on a road trip to London, its always best to choose the outskirts.
- Some of the best attractions in London include The London Eye, Tower Bridge, Buckingham Palace, St Paul’s Cathedral, Westminster Abbey, the Tower of London and the Tate Museum. If you have time, do not forget to visit the South Bank of the River Thames. There are lots of things to see along the river.
- If you want to explore the city suburbs, you can check out some places such as Hampstead, Battersea, Brixton and Richmond. Each one of these areas has unique architecture and shopping opportunities.
- Travelling to London can be a little expensive if you do not plan ahead. There are lots of free London museums which will save you big bucks. Enjoy the amazing artefacts and get lost wandering around the many spectacular museums in London. Two of the most popular museums are the Natural History Museum and the British Museum.
- Food is one of the most important things that you must not miss while visiting London. There are plenty of affordable restaurants with lots of different cuisines. If you want a quick snack, you can grab inexpensive lunches from Sainsbury, Tesco and the Boots.
- You can visit the markets like the Portobello road markets where you will get huge varieties of antiques, veggies, fruits and vintage clothes. Brick Lane Market is also famous for fashion, arts and crafts.
- Download the London App in your phone to help you out to find out the directions and locations of the sights you want to see.
Make sure you protect your safety while you are in London. With crime rates increasing and knife attacks happening daily, it may be advisable to get extra security and hire a personal bodyguard. Almost all celebrities or high-profile people hire a bodyguard in London when they attend events or parties in the capital. Keep the above tips in mind when travelling to London to ensure you have an amazing stay.